This free workbook contains seven example models from the area of corporate finance. Click the model names to display each worksheet model in your browser.
You can use the worksheet that most closely models your situation as a starting point. Solving your real problem may require "scaling up" the model to include more variables and constraints -- but rest assured that you can solve your full-size problem with the power of our Excel Solver upgrades, even if it requires hundreds of thousands of variables!
To download and save the workbook if you are using Excel 2007 or later:
- Right-click Finance Examples.xlsx and select Save Target As... from the context menu.
To download and save the workbook if you are using Excel 2003 or earlier:
- Right-click Finance Examples.xls and select Save Target As... from the context menu.
You can then actually solve these small example models in Excel, using the standard Excel Solver, Analytic Solver Upgrade or Analytic Solver Optimization.
Or, if you would prefer to view the examples in your browser, rather than in Excel, click the links below.
- Finance - Working Capital Management: Invest in 1-month, 3-month, and 6-month CDs to maximize interest while meeting cash requirements
- Budget1 and Budget2 - Capital Budgeting: Choose a combination of capital projects to maximize overall NPV (Net Present Value)
- Invent1 and Invent2 - Inventory Management: Compare inventory stocking and reordering policies with the EOQ (Economic Order Quantity) model
- Lockbox - Cash Management: Determine where to locate lockboxes to minimize the "float" or interest lost to due mailing delays
- Open - Capacity Planning: Determine which plants or warehouses should be opened or closed
On each example worksheet, read the description at the bottom, then select Solver on the Data tab in Excel 2007, or Tools Solver... from the menu in Excel 2003. When you see the Solver Parameters dialog box, click the Solve button to find the optimal solution.
We're here to help -- contact us if you'd like more information or advice on your application.